Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 2


Well, it felt like being right back in Peru. We had a wonderful worship service yesterday. I was surprised to find that the church is filled with immigrants. There were Brazilians, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, Portuguese, , French, and many other nationalities. It was truly an "all-nations" service. What a wonderful time worshiping together.
After the service everyone rushed home to watch the soccer final (Euro Cup) between Spain and Germany. A few of the church members came over to the missionaries home, and we enjoyed yelling at the refs and complaining about missed goals. Spain came out victorious and of course the Spanish people were celebrating like none other. The missionary decided to take us to downtown Salamanca to witness a bit of the celebration. Center city Salamanca was packed with people wearing the red and yellow all over their bodies. Almost every car was honking their horns and the small streets were streaming with people celebrating their country's victory. Let's just say they are crazy about soccer!...and that is probably an understatement.
After two days in Spain I'm not as tired as I expected to be. Either the jet lag has not hit just yet, or I got enough sleep time on the plane ride. People tend to stay up extremely late and get up latter in the morning. It's something I am fairly used to having been working a second shift job. The Spanish tend to go to bed around two in the morning and get up around ten or eleven. I have not gotten used to the eating times just yet: breakfast is at eleven, lunch is around three, and supper is around nine p.m.
Please pray for me as I prepare to speak on Sunday. I will be speaking in all three services. I don't think I have ever done this. Also continue to pray that the Lord would open my eyes to see what I need to see here in Spain. Please pray that the Lord would work in my heart creating a greater passion for Him and a greater passion for lost souls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds exciting, man! I can't imagine the excitement when Spain won. Watching it on TV is one thing, but viewing it in life would be cool. I am excited for you in your trip to Spain and will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

That sounds exciting, man! I can't imagine the excitement when Spain won. Watching it on TV is one thing, but viewing it in life would be cool. I am excited for you in your trip to Spain and will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Jon,
It was very encouraging and inspiring to read your blogs! We'll be praying for you!
Jeff and Jen Szakacs