Friday, February 8, 2008

another one on James

I'll warn you, I'm going to be writing much on the book of James. Partly because I love this book, partly because I'm going through it in my devotions, and partly because I'm taking a Greek book study in James. So it will be no wonder why this book will be on my mind.
Some call this book "The Proverbs of the New Testament." It must have been written by a preacher. James perhaps was just this. If this was the case then it makes sense why it is the book in the New Testament that contains the most commands/imperatives for the believer, and James begins right away giving us a command from verse two. He has the apparent "audacity" to bid suffering believers to count it a joy to suffer. It is at first sight a seeming paradox. How could someone do this? At least I always asked myself this. The answer is simple but easily missed. You see, "God is more concerned with our character than with our comfort, with our transformation than with the trials necessary to get us where he wants us to be," Ware, God's Greater Glory, 173. Each distinct (literally multi-shaded) trial is so designed by God not to bring us suffering but to bring us spiritual gain and "ultimate joy." There is no joy in pain, but there is joy in knowing the purpose of the pain. "We dare not fix our eyes so much on the affliction that we miss its God-designed outcome," Ibid.
As soon as we take our eyes off God's sovereign control on our lives, we begin to focus upon ourselves and our suffering. Thus we miss out on the entire purpose of the trial. It simply produces in us as it says in verses three and four steadfastness, which in turn produces maturity. The problem,trial, difficulty, irritation, call it what you may, is real enough, but it is not reason enough to loose sight of God's sovereign purpose in your life.
"Count it a joy!"

1 comment:

Helaine DeMarte said...

Speaking of 'trials' Jon, when you get a chance, you should look at my sisters blog (link on mine 'matt and alisha') and read her latest post about our family. I know you have heard/shared with me the story, but it still might be an encouragement.